Mr. Geek is a big fan of Asian food, so I knew he'd like this, but with all the "mmmmms" and "you should blog about this", I knew it was a big hit. I nearly took a photo of him chowing down, but really, who wants to see that.
I modified the recipe slightly, by adding a veggie bouillon cube to the rice (I used brown, not white) and adding some shredded zucchini in place of one carrot, since our zucchini is growing at weed proportions and I'm constantly coming up with new ways to incorporate it into our meals.
Crispy Rice with Mushrooms and Carrots (from Everyday Food)
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce (such as Sriracha), plus more for serving (optional)
- tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Coarse salt
- 14 ounces shiitake, baby bella or button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 2 carrots, shredded
- 3 cups rice
- 4 large eggs, sunny-side up, for serving
Using the back of a spoon, flatten rice mixture and increase heat to high. Cook until bottom begins to brown and crisp, about 2 minutes to 4 minutes. Divide among four plates; top each with a fried egg and serve with more hot sauce if desired. Garnish with parsley.