I found this recipe in Katie Brown Celebrates cookbook, and as per my usual routine, decided to modify it a bit. I cut the recipe in half, because it really made a TON of scones. In the end, the halved recipe made about 30 small (3") scones, which was plenty for us. These would be great to bring to a brunch party as an alternative to the usual fare of muffins and danish.
Parmesan Peppercorn Scones (makes approximately 2 dozen)
- 3 cups flour
- ½ cup cold butter, cut into squares
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon coarse black pepper
- 2 cups grated parmesan cheese
- 1 cups milk
- ½ cup buttermilk or plain yogurt
- 2 eggs
These are delicious warm or at room temperature. I could imagine that they'd be good sliced in half and made into BLTs or other sandwiches too.