Back to the cake. I dug out my copy of the Old Farmer's Almanac Everyday Cookbook, which has some really great, old-fashioned recipes in it, and found The Best Carrot Cake Ever. Since I believe everything I read in books (smirk), I knew I had to make this recipe. With my sous chef in place,
I began to shred the zucchini and prepare the ingredients.
The Best Zucchini Cake Ever (adapted from The Old Farmer's Almanac Everyday Cookbook)
For the Cake:
- 1-3/4 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups lightly packed shredded zucchini
- 1 can (8 ounces) pineapple tidbits, drained
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts (optional--I omitted them)
Pour the batter into the prepared pans and bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 45 minutes. Remove from the oven, place onto a rack, and let cool.
For the Cream Cheese frosting:
- 6 ounces (2 small packages) softened cream cheese
- 6 tablespoons softened butter
- 1 teaspoon minced orange peel
- 2 to 2-1/4 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
Devour and enjoy!