Chris found a great recipe for Dhal (or dal or daal), which is a thick stew made of legumes (most often lentils) and vegetables.
raita, a savory yogurt sauce.
Slow Cooker Spicy Indian Lentil Stew (dhal)
- 1 large onion, minced
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 1 tbsp freshly grated ginger
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1 tsp coriander, ground
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp cayenne or 1 small minced jalapeno
- 1 tsp crushed cumin seeds (I grind my own in a mortar/ pestle, but you could use ground cumin)
- 1 diced carrot
- 1 32oz. carton vegetable stock
- 28oz (2 small cans or one large) of diced tomatoes
- 2 cups of lentils (I used black French lentils, which I had on hand. My preference would have been red ones)
- juice from 1 lemon or lime
- 1 can coconut milk
- minced cilantro (optional, for garnish)
Cook until the lentils are soft. A half an hour before serving, add the coconut milk (adds such a rich, creamy consistency) and lemon juice. Garnish with cilantro prior to serving, which I recommend over Basmati rice. Enjoy!