One blog I frequent (and most recently bookmarked this post, for a future project), is Made by Joel. In a sea of crafty mom bloggers, it's refreshing to come across a dad's take on things. Joel Henriques, the blog's author/editor/founder, is about to release his first book on October 11th, aptly titled Made to Play: Handmade Toys & Crafts for Growing Imaginations.
|Photo of Slotted Building Discs from Joel Henriques, Made by Joel|
I'm eager to make some of this stuff with and for my boys, including the Portable Zoo, with paper animals contained in a mint tin and perfect for toting in your purse for use in places like doctors' offices.
The projects are pretty easy, save maybe for some of the ones involving wood where you'd need a scroll saw and wood-burning tool, but as the author writes, you can certainly substitute cardboard for the wood. The point is to create simple, play-provoking toys for and with your kids.
And Joel's instructions and illustrations for the projects are also pretty simple and straightforward, making it easy for non-crafty adults and older kids to follow along without fumbling.
WIN IT!Two lucky readers will win a copy of
Made to Play!To Enter
Visit the Made to Play book page and leave a comment with why you'd like to win the book and which project most appeals to you.
Extra Entries (you must complete the first mandatory entry before doing the extras. Also, leave a separate comment for each one):
- Blog about this giveaway and leave me the link (2 entries)
- Subscribe to my updates
- Follow my blog publicly via Google Friend Connect
- If you're a Fan of Katydid and Kid on Facebook leave a comment letting me know
- Share this post on your Facebook page and leave the link (I'd love it if you tagged me or the sponsor in your post)
- Follow @katydidandkid and tweet this giveaway, leaving a link to your tweet in the comments. You can tweet once per day (leave a comment each day). You can copy and paste my tweet if you'd like: #Win a copy of Made By Joel 's new book, Made to Play http://goo.gl/fb/VIU5B @KatydidandKid #Giveaway
You must do the first entry in order to enter ("I want to win, thanks!" comments will NOT be considered). You will have until Sunday October 2nd at 11:59pmEST to enter. The winner will be chosen via random number generator the next day and notified by email.I'll also post the winners on my blog HERE. If I don't hear back from the winner within 72 hours, I'll pick another.
Disclosure: I received a copy of Made to Play for review purposes.