Hodgson Mill, where my Southwestern Pasta Salad won second prize. This summer, I'm participating again, since I'm always up for a creative challenge in the kitchen.
When I was pondering ideas for pasta salad, of course I had to look to the tomato. I always chop them for pasta salads, but the typical Caprese pasta salad was sounding a little tired from the recipe index in my brain. Basil? Mozzarella? Time for something different.
When flipping through a cooking magazine, I came across a recipe for a Bloody Mary, that tomato-y drink spiked with vodka, often served at (or for!) brunch. The spicy, tangy drink could certainly translate to pasta salad, hence, this recipe was born.
BLOODY MARY BOWTIE SALADserves 4-6
- 10 oz. box of Hodgson Mill whole grain bowtie pasta
- 3 ribs of celery, sliced
- 1 cucumber, peeled and de-seeded, diced
- 2 plum tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 cup finely chopped vidalia onion (alternately, you could shred it on a grater)
- 2 mozzarella cheese sticks, sliced into bite-sized pieces
- chopped celery leaves, for garnish
- The juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp Worcester sauce
- 1 small, ripe tomato, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp Tabasco or hot sauce (or more or less, to your liking)
- 1 1/2 tsp celery salt
- 1 tbsp horseradish
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp of black pepper (or more or less, to your liking)
- additional salt or celery salt, to your liking
In another bowl, combine the ingredients for the dressing, adding the additional chopped tomato. The riper the better! This heavy purple one was nearly falling off the vine.
From now until 08/09, enter to win the Summer Pastabilities Gift Pack Give-a-way sweeps from Hodgson Mill! You could win a $50 prize pack filled with quality Hodgson Mill Whole Wheat pasta, a copy of the Hodgson Mill Whole Grain Baking Book, and more.
This summer you can also take $1 off any variety of Hodgson Mill Whole Wheat pasta! Coupon available at: http://bit.ly/PASTA2013
- Want to receive Hodgson Mill coupons, offers, giveaways, and new recipes before they’re unveiled to the public? Join the email newsletter!
- Need dinner ideas? Check out the Hodgson Mill blog for healthy, seasonal, and delicious inspiration.
- Join the community on the Hodgson Mill Facebook page.
- For more foodie inspiration, follow Hodgson Mill on Pinterest!
WIN IT!And for all of you lovely Katydid and Kid readers, Hodgson Mill is giving away $25 in their products. To enter, just leave a comment on this post about your favorite item in their online store or what you'd like to make with their pasta. Good luck!
Disclosure: I received samples of Hodgson Mill products to facilitate this recipe, and I'm participating in a chance to win a prize in this contest.