Thus, while experimenting in the kitchen with some products from Hodgson Mill as part of their Have a Grain Holiday campaign and contest (you should enter, you can win great prizes every day until Christmas), I came up with these Salted Caramel Hazelnut Shortbread Bars.
SALTED CARAMEL HAZELNUT SHORTBREAD BARS(makes roughly 18 bars)
For the Shortbread:
- 1/2 cup Hodgson Mill Organic Unbleached All Purpose White Flour
- 1/2 cup Hodgson Mill Whole Wheat Flour
- 1/2 cup Hodgson Mill Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
- 2 sticks of unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 stick butter
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup half and half (you can omit this if you'd like, but I think it adds a creamier texture)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 bag chocolate chips (whatever kind you like; I prefer dark chocolate)
- 2 oz. chopped hazelnuts pinch of good quality, flaky sea salt (like Maldon)
In a food processor or with a pastry blender, combine the flours, sugar and salt and blend well.
Press the crumb mixture into the pan. I use the butter wrapper to keep my hands clean.
Back to the caramel: bring to a rolling boil and cook for one minute.
$1 off Hodgson Mill products by visiting this page on their website. And don't forget to enter their Have a Grain Holiday daily contest, where you can win Hodgson Mill prizes every day until Christmas.
Want to win $25 worth of great products from Hodgson Mill? You can choose either a whole grain or gluten-free package. To enter, simply leave a comment here about what item you'd like to try from Hodgson Mill. Extra entries for sharing this giveaway in some way (Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest--just leave me the link in your comment). I'll randomly choose the winner next Wednesday December 18th. Good luck!
Disclosure: I received samples of Hodgson Mill flours to create this recipe, which I am entering into the blogger Have a Grain Holiday contest.