For Soren's birthday, I wanted to bake some cupcakes for an after-lunch treat, and stumbled upon a recipe that I tore out of some unknown magazine (could have been Prevention). I must say they were pretty tasty.
Healthier Chocolate Cupcakes (makes 2 dozen cupcakes)
- 2 1/2 all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder (sifted)
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup plain lowfat yogurt
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 egg whites
- 4 tbsp cooled coffee
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
Whisk together flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda and salt.
In another bowl, combine water, yogurt, oil, applesauce, eggs, coffee, and vanilla. Beat with an electric mixer until combined and smooth.
Slowly add the dry ingredients, and blend until thick and thoroughly combined.
Fill the muffin cups with batter, about 2/3 full. Bake 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool before frosting.
Frosting (from the recipe, not what I used)
- 4 oz Neufchatel (or lowfat cream cheese)
- 1 cup confectioner's sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup softened butter
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder, sifted
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 tbsp milk (more or less, to thin the frosting as needed)