Jude's Birth Story

While I have a few moments to myself, I thought I'd write about Jude's birth.  It certainly wasn't as harrowing a tale as Soren's, but I was pretty nervous about the delivery. Having had a prior C-section, my options were another one or a VBAC (Vaginal Birth After Cesarian).  Being the uncommitted decision-maker that I am, I still wavered over what I'd do, even during my last weeks of pregnancy.

In the end, I scheduled the C after my due date with the intention of doing a VBAC if I went into labor before hand.  Well, the due date came and went with nary a contraction, so when the day for the scheduled C came along, I prepared to be cut open.
Here I am the morning of the surgery, reluctantly awaiting my fate (aka scared shitless).  This is my last pregnancy photo too.

Though it's not like the alternative--pushing a baby out of my nether regions--was a less painful option.  In the end, I'm glad I went with the C, since my biggest fear was my labor not progressing again and having to spend hours laboring in pain with the end result being a c-section anyway.

So the morning of my surgery, my mom picked up Soren to take him to her house, and Chris and I headed to the hospital, where we waited and waited and waited.  I had a feeling my C would get bumped due to emergency Cs, so our 10:30am turned into a 2:00pm birth.
The surgery wasn't so bad, other than how cold it was in the room and enduring the spinal by a med student who didn't seem to be able to find where the needle should go. That was the hardest part, hunching forward over my huge belly, trying to hold completely still while they jabbed my back.  But once that was done, things were ok.  The OR staff was all very upbeat and casual, talking about music and not about the surgery, thank heavens.  And I felt quite drowsy the entire time, so I just rested my eyes and focused on my breathing.  Before I knew it, Jude was born.
He was covered in an incredible amount of vernix, which was really weird to see.  Other things I remember from his birth: Chris announced that it was a boy (since we weren't sure during the pregnancy) and when he came out, Jude peed all over the doctors, lol.

Chris went with Jude to the nursery while they stitched me up.  Before I knew it, they were done. Once I made it into the recovery room, they monitored me for a little while, then brought Jude up.  Immediately he started nursing, which was so relieving for me. I just wasn't sure what to expect, hearing stories of other mothers' difficulties with nursing.  However he was quite adept at it from the start.

The hospital stay was fine, with nicer nurses than my last birth, though I was ready to leave sooner, mostly because those beds are so hard to sleep in/nurse in/get out of.  Plus all those check-ups throughout the night, like every hour.  It's a wonder anyone can rest.

My recovery has been absolutely wonderful. I was up and about within a week, and off of pain pills (Motrin) in about a week too.  I'm not sure why, but I felt mostly back to normal within 10 days, though I'm still careful to not overdo it.  My recovery was the same with Soren's birth, but I was anticipating more pain and a slower healing this time.  Thankfully, the recovery has been great, which is helpful with keeping up with 2 children now.

Despite my efforts of trying to mindfully be present in every moment, good and bad, of the birth experience, I am relieved that it's now a memory of the past.  It was tough, those days leading up to the c-section, worrying about what might happen.  But in the end, I'm so grateful that I have a healthy baby to show for the efforts.  That moment when you see your baby for the first time is really love at first sight, and just the beginning of getting to know your new child.


JDaniel4's Mom said...

I am glad you are doing so well. It sounds like you are doing great!

What a cute baby!

blueviolet said...

It's actually kind of a blessing that you were expecting the worst, because then the reality is sure to be far better! I'm really glad it went so well, and that your recovery has been so easy for you. :)

Ammie said...

Yay! I'm glad the surgery and recovery went well. :) Labor and recovery aren't exactly something I'm looking forward to! ;) Thanks for sharing your birth story.

I LOVE seeing Jude in those darling pants you made him. They must be tiny, and he looks so precious!

Jessica Heights said...

Oh, epidurals...if only you didn't have a student! I totally understand...between my four labors, I've had my spine punctured 15 times.

He is so sweet...how awesome that he's good at nursing! :)

Shana said...

What is with the vernix on the second babies? Lloyd was SO thickly covered in it, too!

Kayla @ TheEclecticElement said...

Aside from the physical pain and the being scared out of your mind thing, it looks like everything went pretty smoothly!

I'm so happy that you're recovering well and that Jude is a good baby :)

Gem said...

Aww...what a cute pic =).

Hope your recovery continues to go well!

Katie's Nesting Spot said...

I am very relieved that this time it went so much better. Parts of your situation are similar to my friend's who labored for several hours and needed an emergency C. She was quite terrified about the prospect of a second, while I kept wondering why because my first was scheduled - breach baby.

She was so relieved afterward by how smoothly it went, like night and day she said. It really does take a toil on your body and mind to labor and labor, really taxes so that the C section is much worse. I am hoping my second is low stress too, because once again it's scheduled. I also am hopeful that mine won't be pushed back throughout the day as it's supposed to be bright and early. I was surprised to hear how late in the day it was, mine was the first of the day and this one should be. I guess it's one of the very few perks of being diabetic. We get some priority because of them wanting our blood glucose levels to be at fasting levels and don't want us to have to eat or medicate.

Related Posts with Thumbnails